One of the earliest recipes that I learned back when I was a newbie in cooking was the Japanese Garlic Fried Rice. It’s super simple and can be done in a flash, which my college-student-self appreciated even more. Over the years after many tweaks, I’ve perfected the Best Garlic Fried Rice recipe. Fast forward to today and quick recipes are still ones that I fall back on every time.
This dish is especially a delight for garlic lovers as it provides us with that delectable garlic flavor we all adore. And as fried rice is always the most forgiving, this is one of the best recipes for beginners to try out.
Look for more fried rice recipes? I’ve got you covered:
The Best Garlic Fried Rice
- 8 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups cold rice see notes
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayo
- 1 egg
- green onions for garnish
- Melt butter with cooking oil in a pan or wok over medium heat.
- Once the butter melts, add the sliced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cold rice and break it up with a spoon if it's clumped together (see notes).
- Season with light soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and Japanese mayo. Stir the rice to ensure it's evenly seasoned.
- Push the rice to the side of the pan/wok and break an egg on the empty side.
- Scramble and make sure it's cooked before stirring everything together. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!