Simple and easy Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole which takes only 15 minutes of prep time! Enjoy this crispy, creamy, tangy and buttery goodness.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
You know how there are certain scents or food that you would always associate with certain events or festivities? Well, this cheesy hash brown casserole is one that reminds me a lot of the holidays because my mother-in-law would make this without fail. And I just love it so much!
It’s such a simple and easy recipe that takes only 15 minutes of prep time, and then you can just leave it to bake in the oven!
Panko-Parmesan Topped Hash Brown Casserole
For this version, I mixed together frozen hash browns with a creamy, cheesy sauce and spread into a dish, then topped it off with cheddar, parmesan, panko and butter. Some people use cornflakes as a topping, but I prefer panko for that crunchy bite.
With all the crispy, cheesy, buttery goodness, it’s definitely up there as one of my comfort food.
NOTES FOR CHEESY HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
- Crust layer – Traditionally, butter and cornflakes is used for the top crust layer but I like using panko parmesan instead. Either will work.
- Make ahead – You can make this ahead a day before and store in the fridge, then pop it in the oven the next day. Just make sure to add the panko crumbs before baking to prevent it from getting soggy.
- Storage – Any leftovers can also be stored in the freezer! You can pack them up in individual servings to make it easier when reheating.
Here are some more options for the holidays:
- Chocolate Hazelnut Star Bread
- Sweet Potato Mash With Miso Butter
- Salmon Crab Stick Sushi Bake
- Honey Cornflake Cups
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.5 oz
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 2.5 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 lb frozen hash brown
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Top crust layer
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix the onions, cream of chicken soup and sour cream until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1.5 cups of the grated cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Add the frozen hash brown, half bag at a time to make it easier to mix. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Spread the hash brown mix onto a greased oven safe dish and add the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
Top crust layer
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add the panko crumbs and parmesan.
- Stir until well combined and spread the mixture on top of the hash brown mix.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the panko layer is golden brown.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!