The traditional dumplings are one of the most well-loved dishes that we enjoy from Chinese cuisine. It has a variety of fillings that consist of ground meet or vegetarian options, and wrapped with a thin, rolled out piece of dough. The beauty of dumplings is that it can be savored in different ways, be it boiled, fried, or steamed. And it turns out good every time!
This recipe is inspired by the Sichuan Red Oil Wonton recipe, also known as Hong You Chao Shou in Chinese. Chao Shou translates to “folding of arms”, which refers to how people in Sichuan would fold their arms to stave off the cold during the winter months. The way the wonton is wrapped by folding the two ends across mimics this action of arms folding.
DELICIOUS AND PACKED WITH HEAT
My love for chili oil has been consuming me lately. So these chili oil dumplings are perfect to satisfy my cravings. They’re so delicious and packed with flavor in every bite, and the spiciness gives the perfect amount of heat.
Preparing dumplings can seem intimidating, but the steps are pretty easy to follow. I find the method that I used to wrap the dumplings as the easiest way in my opinion. However, feel free to fold your dumplings up to your preference.
I also used my homemade chili oil. As for a store bought option, I recommend the one by Lee Kum Kee. You can adjust the amount of chili oil accordingly.
Chili Oil Dumplings
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Keep mixing until the meat reaches a paste like consistency.
- Let the meat marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Place 1-2 tsp of filling in the center of the dumpling wrapper.
- Dip your finger in water and lightly wet all 4 side edges of the wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper in half and push out any air bubbles. Very important step to ensure the dumplings don't burst while cooking.
- Wet the bottom corners of the wrapper and bring them together. Use the wet corners to seal it.
Cooking the dumplings
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add your dumplings. Dumplings are fully cooked when they float.
- Remove the dumplings and add to a serving plate.
- Drizzle with your favorite chili oil and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!