Enjoy this easy crispy savory crepe with pepperoni & cheese filling and creamy, spicy mayo sauce. A tasty delight for breakfast, brunch, or even as a snack.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
Throwback to when I was in school: I used to tag along with my parents on outings to the mall during weekends, and would almost always get crepes from this chain snack stall called Hot & Roll. It was the perfect pick-me-up before ending the day, and a bittersweet treat cause that just means a new school week was starting.
Hot & Roll has the best fillings for savory crepes, from black pepper beef to satay chicken. But one of my favorites would definitely be the Pizza Beef. Something like the pizza wrap, but in crepe form! And the thing is, it’s super easy to replicate.
Crepes are thin French-style pancakes that can be enjoyed as a sweet or savory dish. It’s often part of the breakfast or brunch menu in restaurants, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying it any other time! The best thing is that it’s so versatile with the fillings you can pair it with.
This crispy savory crepe is inspired by the Pizza Beef crepe from Hot & Roll in Malaysia. It has a simple filling which I tried to recreate by using these ingredients: pepperoni, cheese, onion, Japanese mayo and Sriracha. The batter itself consists of staples that you’ll normally find in your pantry.
If you’re ever in a bunch on trying to decide the fillings, try out this pepperoni & cheese option for size. I absolutely love how the oozing, gooey cheese will give you that flawless cheese pull with every bite.
NOTES FOR SINFUL CRISPY SAVORY CREPE
- Versatile filling – Add any filling you want. Be as creative as you can! This is just the suggested filling.
- Crispy crepe – The thinner the crepe, the crispier it will be. If you want a thicker crepe, pour in more batter.
- When is it done – Once the edge turns brown, give it another minute before flipping in half. It should be easy to fold the crepe in half, if the crepe is still sticking to the pan that means it’s not ready to be folded yet. If the bottom is still pale, let it cook for another minute or so or to your preferred doneness.
Looking for other types of pancakes? Here you go:
Crispy Savory Crepe with Pepperoni & Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups water
- mozzarella shredded
- cheddar shredded
- onions diced
- Japanese mayo
- Add all the ingredients for the batter in a blender and blend until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of cooking oil into a medium size frying pan and coat the bottom of the pan. Heat it up over medium heat.
- Pour in 1/4-1/2 cup of batter and swirl it around for an even coat (see notes).
- Add onions and pepperoni to one half of the crepe and cheese on the other half.
- Season with paprika and pepper.
- Squeeze mayo and Sriracha all over the crepe.
- Once the edges crisp up and turns golden brown, give it another minute before folding the crepe in half and then fold in half one more time (see notes).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!