These crispy Fried King Oyster Mushroom Bites can be enjoyed at any time and it’s vegan friendly! Sliced mushrooms coated with seasoned batter and panko crumbs that’s fried until golden brown, served with a delicious creamy sauce.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
If you’re on the lookout for the next snack to make for those times when you’re just chilling in front of the TV and binging shows, have I got the perfect one for you! These crispy fried oyster mushroom bites have a delicious crunchy coating on the outside with a tender and meaty center. It’s becoming a favorite in my household, especially with how quickly I can make up a new batch.
And they’re also vegan-friendly! The only thing to note is that I use regular mayonnaise as part of my sauce, but substitute that out for vegan mayonnaise and all is well.
Crispy Mushroom Bites
These savory appetizers are essentially sliced oyster mushrooms that’s dipped into seasoned batter, then coated with panko crumbs before frying until it turns into a ravishing golden brown. Serve it with a sauce of your choice, or try out this simple one that’s a combo of few ingredients: mayonnaise/vegan mayonnaise, ketchup, rice vinegar, sweet relish, and sugar. (Psst, it’s the same special sauce that I use in my In-N-Out Animal Fries Copycat recipe!)
Notes for Fried Oyster Mushroom Bites
- Batter consistency – The consistency of the batter should be in between a pasty and watery consistency. Adjust with more flour or more water to reach that consistency, 1/2 tbsp at a time.
- Deep fry or Air fry options – You can deep fry or air fry this too at 375°F for 16-20 minutes.
- Vegan friendly – This recipe is vegan friendly. Just swap the mayonnaise for the sauce with vegan mayonnaise or serve with your sauce of choice.
Other recipes with mushroom for you to try:
- Portobello ‘Shroom Burger
- 15-Minutes Bok Choy Mushroom with Oyster Sauce
- Easy Mushroom Congee/Rice Porridge
More appetizer recipes:
Fried King Oyster Mushroom Bites
- 3 king oyster mushrooms
- Panko crumbs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise/vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sweet relish
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Slice the rinsed mushrooms to equal thickness.
- Make the batter by combining all the dry ingredients in a bowl except for the panko crumbs.
- Add water and mix. You want a consistency that’s not too thick and not too watery (see notes).
- Add mushrooms in the wet batter and coat it, then coat with panko crumbs.
- Heat up oil over medium heat in a frying pan and shallow fry the mushrooms for 1-3 minutes on each side or until mushrooms are golden brown (see notes).
- Make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients.
- Serve while hot with this sauce or sauce of your choice and enjoy!