Have you ever tried Hong Kong Style French Toast? It’s this mouthwatering big square block of layered bread interspersed with a spread of your choice (the most popular one being peanut butter), then dipped in egg before frying. Adding to the sinfulness of the dessert, you can drizzle on some syrup of your choice, or even condensed milk!
Hong Kong Style French Toast (Sai Do Si) is an Asian fusion to the classic breakfast indulgence. You can say that it’s one of the more popular dishes of Hong Kong cafés. These cafés are known as Cha Chaan Teng, which is Cantonese for “Tea restaurant”.
I first tried this french toast in one of the cafés back in Malaysia. It easily changed my life. How can something so simple be so delicious? The wonders of life. 😂
Frying – Normally, the french toast is deep fried after coating it in egg. But I pan fried mine to make it simpler. Feel free to choose whichever method that you’d like to try.
Spread – Peanut butter is the most popular one. But you can substitute it with different ones! Nutella, Biscoff, Kaya jam. Whatever floats your boat!
Topping – I drizzled syrup on one, and condensed milk on the other. You can switch it up with whatever you’d like. Popular options are maple syrup, butter, or honey.
Psst…need more dessert options? I’ve got you:
- Decadent Caramel Custard
- Easy Lazy Banana Coffee Cake
- Jemput-Jemput Pisang/Cekodok (Deep Fried Banana Balls)
- Malaysian Homemade Ice Cream (Frozen Hot Chocolate)
HK Style French Toast
- 3 slices bread see notes
- peanut butter see notes
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp oil see notes
- your choice of sweetener pancake syrup, condensed milk, honey
- Spread a layer of peanut butter on 2 of the 3 slices of bread and sandwich them together.
- Make the milky egg wash by mixing the egg, milk and salt in a bowl.
- Dip the bread in the egg wash for a few seconds on each side and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat up oil over medium heat and once it's hot enough, shallow fry the crust of the bread for 30-60 seconds on each side before frying the rest.
- Once all the sides are golden brown, remove from the pan and serve on a plate.
- Drizzle your favorite sweetener and add butter on top. Enjoy!