Indulge in a bowl of Hot And Sour Dumpling Noodle Soup that can be put together within just 20 minutes! Spicy, tangy, and bursting with flavor. Perfect for lunch or dinner!
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
Soup Dinner Recipes
For me, there can never be a wrong time for soups. So I love it when I come across new soup dishes that can be incorporated into my dinner rotations.
Last year, I tried the hot and sour dumpling soup for the first time in a restaurant. It was so incredibly good, I was hooked! And while trying to recreate that delicious taste, I’ve refined the recipe for it after much trial.
But I also incorporated some noodles into the dish as well to turn it into a fuller meal. And the whole process can all be done within just 20 minutes!
Hot And Sour Soup With Dumplings And Noodles
As you can guess from it’s name, the soup for this Chinese dish has a sour taste. It’s mostly thanks to this ingredient: vinegar. Traditionally, Chinese black vinegar is used, but I substitute it with rice vinegar.
This dish also has a spicy kick with additions such as gochugaru and if you’re feeling up to it, Sichuan pepper powder.
It’s pretty simple to make. Add the soup base ingredients into a bowl, then pour hot oil onto it in order to coax the flavors out. Cook the dumplings and noodles, before adding those and some of the hot dumpling water (or chicken broth) into the bowl.
You can have your pick at the type of dumplings you’d like to add to the dish. Here’s a recipe for my Chicken and Shrimp Dumplings that goes really well with this recipe.
ingredients you’ll need
(For full ingredient measurements, please proceed to the recipe card below.)
- Frozen or fresh dumplings
- Noodles of choice
- Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Garlic: minced or crushed
- Green onions: white and green parts separated
- Gochugaru: adjust to preference
- Sichuan pepper powder (optional but highly recommended)
- White pepper
- Neutral oil
- Light soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Low sodium chicken broth or hot dumpling water
how to make hot and sour noodle soup dumplings
- Prepare the flavorful base: In a bowl, add garlic, green onions (white part), gochugaru, sichuan pepper powder, white pepper, salt and sugar. Heat up the neutral oil until smoking then immediately pour it over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Enhance the flavor: Add light soy sauce and vinegar. Stir until well combined.
- Cook the noodles and dumplings: Boil the noodles per package instructions and drain. Boil the dumplings until it floats or cooked and reserve the hot dumpling water.
- Combine everything together: Add dumplings to the bowl and pour in 1.5 cups of the dumpling water or hot chicken broth. Stir and then add the noodles.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
More Noodle Soup Recipes
- Creamy Miso Noodle Soup (15 Minutes)
- Easy Hearty Noodle Soup (15 minutes)
- Garlic Miso Noodle Soup (15 Minutes)
- Creamy Tom Yum Noodle Soup
More Soup Recipes
Hot And Sour Dumpling Noodle Soup
- 4-6 frozen or fresh dumplings
- noodles of choice
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 cloves minced/crushed garlic
- 1 stalk diced green onions white and green parts separated
- 1-2 tbsp gochugaru adjust to preference
- 1 tbsp sichuan pepper powder optional but highly recommended
- 1/2 tbsp white pepper
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth or hot dumpling water
- In a bowl, add garlic, green onions (white part), gochugaru, sichuan pepper powder, white pepper, salt and sugar. Heat up the neutral oil until smoking then immediately pour it over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Add light soy sauce and vinegar. Stir until well combined.
- Boil the noodles per package instructions and drain. Boil the dumplings until it floats or cooked and reserve the hot dumpling water.
- Add dumplings to the bowl and pour in 1.5 cups of the dumpling water or hot chicken broth. Stir and then add the noodles.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!