An easy In-N-Out Copycat Animal Style Fries recipe of french fries topped with American cheese slices, caramelized onions and the special sauce.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
I recently took a trip to LA for some very important business — *whisper screams* BTS’ Permission To Dance concert! (I know! It still feels like it was a feverish dream). The first thing I sought out after exiting the airport was a good old order of Animal Style fries from In-N-Out to satisfy my hungry self. Easy to say, I devoured mine within minutes.
After posting the recipe for Spicy Crispy Chicken Burger/Sandwich that’s inspired by KFC’s Zinger Burger/Sandwich, a few of my followers on Instagram requested for more copycat recipes. So I thought this would be a great follow up to that!
Animal Style Fries
What exactly is this not-so-secret menu option from In-N-Out? An order of french fries topped with American cheese slices and caramelized onions, then drenched in special sauce.
The creamy special sauce in question has a mouthwatering tangy and sweet flavor. To recreate that, I used a combination of mayonnaise, ketchup, rice vinegar, sweet relish and sugar. I personally like to put in a bit of chili flakes to add a bit of heat, but that’s totally optional.
Notes For In-N-Out Copycat Animal Style Fries
- Onions – It takes at least 30 minutes on medium low/low heat for the onions to caramelize into the sweet, dark golden perfection. If it seems like the onions are burning, turn down the heat a little bit.
- Chili flakes – The In-N-Out sauce doesn’t use chili flakes but I added it in for some heat. It’s optional and up to your preference.
- American cheese slices – In-N-Out uses American cheese slices. I sometimes like to use shredded cheddar. Either one will work.
Here are some other appetizers for you to check out:
In-N-Out Copycat Animal Style Fries
In-N-Out Inspired Special Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tbsp sweet relish
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes optional
- 1/2 bag frozen fries
- cheddar cheese/American cheese
- 2 onions diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a pan over medium low heat and pour in neutral oil.
- Add the minced onions and salt to the pan.
- Stir every few minutes until the onions caramelize. If the onions look like its burning, turn down the heat. This will take at least 30 minutes or longer.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Bake/Fry the frozen fries per the package instructions.
- Once the fries are cooked, add grated cheddar cheese or sliced American cheese on top and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Once the cheese melts, add the caramelized onions and pour the sauce on top and enjoy!