For this week’s Alphabet Weekly Dish Challenge, we’re on the letter K, which makes it the ideal time to share this recipe for Kimchi Pasta inspired by the classic carbonara. Kimchi has a tangy, spicy and slightly salty taste that perfectly compliments the creamy richness of the carbonara.
For those of you who love Kimchi (I am obsessed with it!), this is a great Korean fusion dish to try out. Though it’s super easy to prepare, it doesn’t take away from how tasty and mouthwatering this dish is. Absolutely scrumptious!
P.s. Anyone else looking forward to BTS’ In The Soop Season 2 that’s coming out next month? I can’t wait to see what sort of dishes they’ll be preparing for their meals. I’m guessing that Kimchi Fried Rice will at least be one of them again, don’t you think? 😉
Here are some other Korean recipes for you to try:
Kimchi Pasta Carbonara
- 1/2 lb pasta 1/2 box of regular sized box pasta
- 5 slices bacon see notes
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 tbsp kimchi juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pepper
- 1 tbsp butter see notes
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- Cut up the bacon and kimchi into bite sized pieces.
- Make the pasta sauce by mixing the eggs, egg yolk, parmesan, salt, pepper and kimchi juice in a bowl and boil the pasta. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water just in case.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to a pan (see notes) and pan fry the bacon until cooked.
- Once cooked, add the kimchi and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and immediately add it into the pan with the bacon and kimchi.
- Turn off heat and add the pasta sauce. WORK FAST. Stir until every strand of pasta is coated with the sauce. Add a splash of pasta water if too dry/hard to mix.
- Serve. Top it off with parmesan and green onions. Enjoy!