The Malaysian Chili Pan Noodles, or more commonly known as Chili Pan Mee, is one of my absolute favorite dishes. You can easily find it at hawker stalls, restaurants or in malls (where I frequently went to growing up) in Kuala Lumpur. It’s a simple meal that hits the spot every time, and you can adjust the level of spice you’d like accordingly!
Pan Mee literally translates to flat flour noodle. A variation of pan mee is to serve it in hot soup, which is a great option to have during the cold winter months in Chicago. However, when this Hakka-style noodle is served dry, it is my comfort food and brings out the nostalgic feelings of gallivanting around town when I was growing up. Chili pan mee traditionally comes with minced meat, fried anchovies (ikan bilis), a poached egg, and chili oil.
The poached egg is a key ingredient that adds to the flavor, and pairs well with the spiciness from the chili oil. It is also the best part of the mixing experience! Once you have everything plated, break the runny egg yolk with your spoon, give the ingredients a good mix, and enjoy. I’ve added instructions on how I make poached eggs as well.
Hope you’ll try this little taste of home!
You can find the dried anchovies at the refrigerated section of any asian grocer. I also used my homemade chili oil. As for a store bought option, I recommend the one by Lee Kum Kee.
Malaysian Chili Pan Noodles
Ground meat marinade
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup dried anchovies
- 2 servings wheat noodles
- 1 green onions (for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp chili oil/paste
- In a bowl, marinate the ground beef and leave it for at least 10 minutes.
- Pan fry the beef until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Fry the dried anchovies until lightly golden and crispy. Set aside.
- To poach the egg, crack the egg in a cup.
- Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Add 1 tbsp of vinegar and create a small whirlpool in the pot with a spoon.
- Slowly pour the egg in the middle of the whirlpool and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Boil noodles per instructions.
- Add noodles to a serving bowl.
- Add the ground beef, egg and fried anchovies next to each other per the picture.
- Add your favorite chili oil and drizzle some over the noodles.
- Add green onions to garnish.
How to enjoy
- Break the egg yolk and mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Enjoy!