Malaysian Stuffed Tofu, known as Tauhu Sumbat in Malay, is one of my favorite ways to indulge in tofu that makes for a great snack or appetizer. It’s essentially fried firm tofu that is stuffed with vegetables which you can dip in a spicy chili sauce or peanut sauce. Personally, I love the combination of both sauces!
Each bite gives you delicious crispy fried tofu and crunchy fillings. It’s such a well-loved appetizer in Malaysia, that you can easily find this selling on roadside stalls or night markets!
A side note about night markets though is that they can really be a double edged sword. On one hand you can find almost anything you’d like to eat and purchase it easily. On the other, that variety of choice makes you want to buy everything! Especially when you’re hungry. 😋
If you’re a fan of tofu, here’s a recipe for Chili Oil Soft Tofu Eggs that is absolutely mouthwatering.
Malaysian Stuffed Tofu (Tauhu Sumbat) with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 4 square firm tofu see notes
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cucumber julienned
- 1 carrot julienned
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar (can be substituted with white vinegar/apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (can be substituted with white vinegar/apple cider vinegar)
- Prep the veggies. Optional: blanch carrots if you don't like it raw.
- Mix both in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix corn starch, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl/plate for the seasoned coating.
- Pat the tofu dry and coat it with the seasoned coating evenly.
- Spray a thin layer of cooking spray and cook in the air fryer for 25 minutes at 380 F, flipping it halfway through.
- Once it's cooked and has cooled down, cut the tofu in half diagonally.
- Cut slits on the inside of the tofu 3/4 of the way through.
- Use the back of a spoon to create an opening and gently pinch the tofu on the sides to keep it open for stuffing.
- Stuff with the veggies and serve.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Add all the ingredients into a microwave safe bowl and heat it up for 30-60 seconds.
- Stir until well combined. Add a splash of water if too thick.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well.