An easy 6-ingredient Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms recipe that only takes 15 minutes! Enjoy a hearty, delicious breakfast with this comforting meal.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
Do you tip more towards the sweet or savory side when it comes to breakfast? For me, I’m more on the latter. I mean, I’m from Malaysia. And nasi lemak — the most savory dish you could think of — is almost like a staple breakfast food. Which is why I’ve always loved to prepare my oatmeal in a more savory style.
Quick & Easy Oatmeal
This simple oatmeal recipe uses only 6 ingredients and will be ready to be plated within just 15 minutes! Perfect for those days when you want a delicious quick meal that’s hearty and flavorful.
The best part is that you can tailor the toppings with anything you’d like! I prefer mine with some chili oil eggs (of course), avocado, fried shallots, light soy sauce, and green onions. Think of it as how you would enjoy your favorite bowl of congee.
If you’ve never tried fried shallots before, you’re in for a treat. Known as bawang goreng in Malay, it’s crispy chips that’s a classic and can be very addicting. You can add it on your porridge, soupy meals like soto, or even on nasi goreng (fried rice)!
Notes for Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms
- Type of oats – You can use whichever type of oats you’d like. Depending on what type of oatmeal you use, cook per the package instructions.
- Toppings – Be creative with the toppings and add whatever you want! Think of it as rice porridge/congee.
- Chicken/vegetable stock – I use chicken bouillon powder to make my oatmeal. But omit it if you use chicken or vegetable stock to cook the oats.
- Chili oil – I used my own Homemade Chili Oil as a topping.
Here are more breakfast options for you to try
- Murtabak Maggi (Savory Ramen Pancake)
- Crispy Savory Crepe with Pepperoni & Cheese
- Chili Oil & Jam Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Sweet & Salty)
- Hong Kong Style French Toast (Sai Do Si)
Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced/sliced
- 1 cup oats
- 1.5 cups water or chicken/vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder omit if using chicken/vegetable stock
- chili oil eggs
- fried garlic/shallots
- light soy sauce
- green onions
- Sauté garlic in oil over medium heat for 30 seconds before adding mushrooms.
- Sauté until the mushroom it's tender (3-4 minutes) then pour in water/stock.
- Add salt and chicken bouillon powder (skip if using stock) and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add oatmeal and stir until the it's cooked. Add more water/stock to achieve your desired consistency.
- Serve in a bowl and top it off with chili oil eggs, a drizzle of light soy sauce, avocado, fried shallots/garlic and green onions.