Fall has crept up on us as we’re moving towards the colder months of the year. The nights are getting quite chilly here in Chicago, and the best thing to indulge in that can ward off the chill is hot soupy dishes. This Spicy Creamy Miso Ramen ticks that box perfectly. Come Winter, I’ll probably be making this even more frequently!
The broth really is the star of the show, with it being creamy, flavorful, and bursting with umami taste. And it’s vegan friendly. My husband and I especially love it when it’s on the spicier side (even added a drizzle of chili oil for extra heat!), but you can definitely tailor it to your heat preferences. I like my ramen with jammy ramen egg but skip it to keep it vegan.
This bowl of ramen is pretty easy and quick to make, so I hope you’ll give it a try. Enjoy!
*Recipe updated May 22, 2022.
Looking for other noodle recipes? I’ve got you:
Spicy Creamy Miso Ramen (Vegan)
- 1/2 onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 6 shiitake mushrooms sliced – see notes
- 6 wood ear mushrooms sliced – optional
- 3 tbsp chili garlic sauce see notes
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk see notes
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or skip and add more soy milk instead, see notes
- 3 tbsp red miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- wheat based noodles
- green onions for garnishing
- chili oil optional
- Prep the onion, garlic and ginger. Add to a pot and sauté in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes before adding wood ear mushroom.
- Sauté for another minute and add chili garlic sauce. Keep sautéing for another minute.
- Pour in soy milk and water. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to medium low and add miso paste and sugar. Stir until miso paste dissolves (see notes).
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn off heat and if you are adding coconut milk, add it now. Stir and strain for a smooth broth.
- Add cooked noodles to a bowl and pour in the broth. Garnish with green onions, a drizzle of chili oil for extra heat and the mushrooms. Add ramen egg if you're not vegan. Enjoy!