A great vegan-friendly Spicy Crispy Mushroom Burger recipe that packs a hot punch. Seasoned, fried oyster mushroom patty, assorted toppings, and spicy creamy sauce between toasted buns.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
You would think that it’s national mushroom week with two of my past three recipes being tied to mushrooms (Portobello ‘Shroom Burger & Fried King Oyster Mushroom Bites (Vegan)). Not to mention the one that’s coming today. But no, I just have major love for them! Be it as additions in soups and stews, or as its own main dish, mushrooms are simply sensational.
Crispy Fried Oyster Mushroom Burger
Oyster mushrooms in particular are known to have a more “meaty” and tender texture to it. Once breaded and fried, this crispy patty is often called as a vegan-friendly substitute to fried chicken. So naturally, I wanted to experiment incorporating it in one of my most-loved recipes: the Spicy Crispy Chicken Burger (inspired by KFC’s Zinger Burger!).
However, there are some slight adjustments to the seasonings and how I make the patty crispy. For this recipe, I bread the mushrooms by dredging it in the batter then coat it with panko crumbs.
Assemble the burger by placing the fried mushroom patty between toasted buns, alongside some lettuce, slices of cheese and tomatoes, and the spicy creamy sauce.
Make it vegan
I used Kewpie mayo as one of the ingredients for the sauce. Swap it out with vegan mayo and use vegan cheese slices.
Notes for Spicy Crispy Mushroom Burger (Vegan-friendly)
- Cleaning the mushroom – Don’t let the mushrooms soak in water as they act like a sponge and will absorb the water. Instead, pat/wipe it with a damp paper towel.
- Burger sauce – The sauce is a mixture of Kewpie mayo/vegan mayo, sweet chili sauce, Sriracha, rice vinegar, light soy sauce, and chili flakes.
- Coat with batter fully – Make sure every inch of the oyster mushroom is covered with the batter otherwise the panko crumbs will not stick.
- Coat with panko – Make sure to really pack on the panko crumb so every inch of the mushroom is coated.
Here are more burger/sandwich recipes for you to try:
- Portobello ‘Shroom Burger
- Chili Oil & Jam Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Sweet & Salty)
- Japanese Egg Sandwich (Tamago Sando)
- Crispy Tuna Pockets
Spicy Crispy Mushroom Burger (Vegan-friendly)
- 2 Oyster Mushroom clusters
- 2 burger buns
- tomato slices
- cheese/vegan cheese slices
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp kewpie mayo/vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes
- Panko crumbs
- Gochugaru optional
- 5-spice powder optional
- Clean the oyster mushroom clusters by patting/wiping it with a damp paper towel.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the batter in a bowl and add water. Mix until it becomes a batter.
- Prepare the panko crumbs for coating.
- Coat the mushroom cluster in the batter then the panko crumbs.
- Deep fry over medium heat until golden brown.
- Let it stand on a cooling rack to drain excess oil. Optional step: Sprinkle gochugaru and 5-spice powder while hot.
- Toast the burger buns and spread a layer of the sauce on the inner part.
- Add the oyster mushroom then spread a layer of the sauce on top.
- Add a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato and top of the burger bun. Serve and enjoy!
Would this work in an air fryer?