These are the spicy honey garlic wings of your dreams! You can make it in under an hour and using only 4 simple ingredients for the sauce. It’s bound to have people grabbing for more.
Ayo! Your girl’s back with another hot finger lickin’ good recipe. If you’re like me and can never resist a good batch of chicken wings then say no more – this is the recipe for you!
A week ago, a few of my followers on Instagram (if you haven’t, follow me @farahjeats :D) asked for healthier recipes. That’s when I realized that most of the recipes I’ve been sharing are not really the healthiest. LOL. So today’s recipe is a healthy-ish recipe but still full of flavor chicken wings that you can make without deep frying.. and still have it extra crispy!
THE SPICY HONEY GARLIC SAUCE
The sauce is everything you could ever ask for and uses only 4 ingredients! The heat comes from one of the most loved Asian hot sauce, Sriracha. Fun fact: I HATED Sriracha when I first moved here. It was just really different than the hot/chili sauce that I’m used to back in Malaysia. But eventually it started to grow on me and is now one of my kitchen must haves. I love Sriracha for this because it has just the right amount of heat for most people and has that tangy flavor with just a hint of sweetness.
To balance that out, we are using honey. This turned out to be the perfect combo that leaves you drooling for more. As you know (or don’t know), I am obsessed with garlic! So of course garlic is also an important component to this sauce. Instead of just using garlic powder like most sauces, I wanted a strong garlic taste. We are using real garlic that’s been sautéed in butter. You get a hit of delicious garlic with every bite and honestly, is there anything better? BRB, currently drooling while I’m typing this.
AIR FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
We all know air fryers are now THE kitchen gadget. Almost everyone has one now and it is the healthier and more convenient option to your frying needs. I LOVE my air fryer and we use it so much that it broke. LOL. We have a new one now that I love even more. I highly recommend it!
Can you get wings that are just as crispy as the deep fried ones? Great news guys, gals, and non-binary pals, you definitely can!
A lot of people have shared their tips by using cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, etc. But just coating it with flour will give you the exact same crispy results without the powdery aftertaste. It’s as easy as that! I tried this once and was so impressed, I’m convinced this is the only and BEST way to air fry chicken wings.
TIPS FOR THE BEST SPICY HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN WINGS
- Cooking Spray – You need to spray a layer of cooking oil to get that nice crispy chicken wings. That and the seasoned flour will make the chicken crisp up perfectly.
- Garlic – Garlic is key for this recipe. Use as many as your heart desires! It’s also important not to burn the garlic, so cook on medium low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Letting it Cool – Make sure to let the chicken cool for at least 5 minutes before tossing it with the sauce. Otherwise, the sauce will separate.
Looking for more awesome chicken recipes? I got you:
Spicy Honey Garlic Wings
- 7 whole chicken wings (cut into drumettes and flats)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Spicy Honey Garlic Sauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp green onions
- Chili oil optional
- sesame seeds optional – for garnish
Spicy Honey Garlic Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter melts, turn the heat down to medium low and add the minced garlic.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes making sure the garlic does not burn.
- Turn the heat off and add the Sriracha, honey, salt and green onions. Stir until well combined.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder until well combined.
- Coat every piece of the chicken wings with the seasoned flour.
- Spray a thin layer of cooking spray at the bottom of the air fryer basket and place the wings skin down, making sure not to overcrowd and that the wings are not touching.
- Spray the chicken wings with another layer of cooking spray and air fry it at 375 F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once cooked, let it cool for 5 minutes before tossing it with the sauce.
- Optional: Drizzle with chili oil for extra heat and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!