This Malaysian style creamy butter chicken is crunchy, spicy, and delicious. Especially when eaten with white rice or with bread.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
This Malaysian style creamy butter chicken is one of the easiest recipes that I have learned, and I feel like it’s a staple beginner friendly dish!
It’s one of those recipes where you can easily throw everything together effortlessly, but it comes out super good every single time.
This recipe uses evaporated milk, which is what lends to the creaminess of the sauce. Once the curry leaves are added to the melted butter, the fragrance that arises is so distinct and pungent that it makes my mouth water. And once the golden brown crunchy fried chicken is added to the mix? Game over.
Give this a try and let me know how it goes!
Notes for Malaysian Creamy Butter Chicken
- Best eaten with white rice.
- Evaporated milk can be substituted with equal parts cooking cream and milk. For example, 1 cup of evaporated milk = 1/2 cup cooking cream + 1/2 cup milk.
More Chicken Dishes
- Malaysian Chicken Chop
- One-Pot Baked Chicken And Veggies
- Easy 15-Minutes Chicken Teriyaki (No Mirin and Sake)
- Fried Turmeric Chicken (Ayam Goreng Kunyit)
Malaysian Creamy Butter Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless chicken thigh/breast
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
Creamy Butter Sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5-10 Thai chilli (minced)
- 1.5 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 1 slice American/Cheddar cheese
- Slice the chicken into cubes/bite sized pieces
- In a bowl, break the egg and add flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and curry powder (optional). Add chicken to bowl.
- Mix everything well until every piece of chicken is coated.
- Heat up oil in a cooking pot and deep fry the chicken till golden brown.
Creamy Butter Sauce
- Mince the Thai chilli peppers. Amount used for this recipe should be based on heat preference.
- In a pan on medium low heat, melt butter.
- Add the curry leaves and Thai chilli peppers. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add evaporated milk to pan. Turn heat down to low. Once it simmers, add salt, sugar and cheese and stir well.
- Add the fried chicken to the sauce and coat evenly. Serve immediately and enjoy!