These Honey Cornflake Cups are a classic bite-sized dessert, especially for festive occasions! It’s easy to prepare with only 4 ingredients required, and a fun activity for the whole family!
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
One of my earliest memories of learning to “bake” is by helping out my mum with making these honey cornflake cups in preparation for Hari Raya (Eid). From then on, I would look forward to making these every year without fail. Just thinking about it brings forth these nostalgic feelings.
These were arguably my favorite ‘kuih’ (term for bite-sized Southeast Asian desserts) as a kid. And even with our own barrel full of cornflake cups at home, I would always look forward to having some whenever visiting relatives during the festive season back in Malaysia.
It’s a super easy recipe that requires only 4 ingredients: butter, honey, cornflakes, and a pinch of salt. However, you can also add on any toppings that you feel like! I’ve used chocolate syrup and sprinkles ’cause those are my favorite, but I’ve seen variations with crushed almonds or even raisins.
If you’re looking for a simple, fun activity that you could rope the kids into, this is definitely recommended! Not to mention the delicious sweet golden delights you’ll get to snack on as a result. 😉
P.s. I’ve recently learned that these are called Honey Joys in Australia!
TIPS FOR SIMPLE HONEY CORNFLAKE CUPS
- Avoid high heat – Use low to medium heat when melting butter and honey together in the pan to avoid burning it and having a bitter flavor.
- Decoration variations – Go simple or crazy with these! Options include: chocolate syrup/melted chocolate, sprinkles, toasted almonds, coconut flakes, raisins.
- Storage – Keep them in an airtight container or they’ll turn soggy easily. They can last up to 2 weeks if you refrigerate, but I normally just keep them on the counter and they’re good for a week.
- Use mini cupcake liners – The normal sized ones are too big. Using the mini ones gives you the best ratio for the perfect bite!
Looking for more dessert recipes? Here you go:
- Hong Kong Style French Toast (Sai Do Si)
- Decadent Caramel Custard
- Easy Lazy Banana Coffee Cake
- Apam Balik (Malaysian Pancake Turnover)
Honey Cornflake Cups
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cups cornflakes
- A pinch of salt
- chocolate syrup optional
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a pot, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add honey and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Turn off heat and add the cornflakes. Stir until every cornflake is coated.
- Line up small cupcake cups and carefully scoop in the cornflakes.
- Add sprinkles if you want but skip if you will be adding chocolate syrup.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the chocolate syrup drizzle and sprinkles. Enjoy!