I think majority of Kdrama and Kpop fans can understand my predicament when I say that the eating segments in said dramas or variety shows make me crave their food like crazy! They make everything look so appetizing to the point where I would try to recreate dishes that instant if I had the ingredients on hand. What sorcery is this?
And I feel like the Koreans really know their fried chicken. They normally use the double-frying method which makes the chicken super crispy. I had these Cheesy Korean Fried Chicken a few times in different Korean restaurants in Malaysia, and they hit the spot Every. Single. Time! (I’m just awaiting for the day when I can try it out in Korea first hand….)
It usually comes served on a sort of hot plate griddle, with the fried chicken in the middle and surrounded by cheese. But I managed to recreate it in a non-stick frying pan – it works just as well! And ooooh boy, the chicken paired with the oozing melting cheese is a beautiful wonder.
I made a bbq gochujang marinade for this fried chicken recipe, which has the perfect balance between sweet and savory. It’s also slightly more spicy too because that’s how I normally take it, but feel free to adjust the heat level according to your preference. Enjoy!
Cheesy Korean Fried Chicken
- 1 lb boneless chicken thigh (cut to preferred size)
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup batter
- potato starch
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 2.5 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp gochujaru (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- shredded mozzarella
- cream corn (optional)
- Cut chicken thigh to preferred size. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and water to make a wet batter.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Dredge each piece of chicken with potato starch and shake off excess.
- Fry in hot oil by batches making sure not to overcrowd the pot.
- Remove when it’s lightly golden.
- Once everything is fried, fry again in hot oil for a few minutes to make it extra crispy. Remove when it's golden and let it rest.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Coat every piece of chicken with the sauce.
- In a non-stick pan/hot plate griddle, add the chicken in the middle and surround it with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Melt the mozzarella with cream corn. Dip chicken in the melted cheese and enjoy!