In the spirit of celebration for the drop of BTS’ new single “Permission To Dance”, I wanted to share this recipe that’s one of the boys’ favorite dishes! The classic, timeless Kimchi Fried Rice (Kimchi Bokkeumbap).
It was featured in one of the episodes of “In The Soop” where they cooked it on a cast iron pot lid called Sottukkeong. Though frying it in a pan is just as good, I would very much enjoy cooking it that way one day. Looks so fun!
I really love the combination of tangy, sour, and spicy tastes from kimchi. And I feel like kimchi fried rice is one of the best ways to enjoy this delicacy.
An optional step that I always do whenever making kimchi fried rice is to top it off with some cheese and a fried egg. Though the shape of my egg in this picture…leave’s a lot to be desired. I was distracted and couldn’t salvage it in time. This was my last egg too! But hey, it’s still a delicious egg. (And if you squint hard enough it kind of looks like a heart! 💜 )
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1/2 onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup kimchi (sliced)
- 3 cups rice
- 1/2 cup kimchi brine
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2.5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- shredded cheese (optional)
- fried egg (optional)
- In a pan on medium low heat, sauté the onions and garlic until the onion starts to sizzle.
- Add sliced kimchi and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice and pour in kimchi brine.
- Season with salt, sugar and sesame oil. Mix well. Enjoy!
- Optional step: Turn heat down slightly and let it continue to cook untouched until lightly brown.
- Optional step: Add shredded cheese on top and a fried egg.