We’re already on the letter L for the Alphabet Weekly Dish Challenge, and of course I’d have to make it on this crispy Lemon Chicken.
Back in Malaysia, whenever my family and I go out for dinner at Chinese restaurants, lemon chicken is a must. It almost always suits everyones taste, including my nieces and nephews! And whenever the children enjoy their food, it’s a win in my book. Although in the western food world it’s not as popular as its sister dish– orange chicken, it definitely will give it a run for its money.
Here’s how I make the perfect lemon chicken that’s a perfect combination of tangy, tart and sweet. Double fry the chicken to make it extra crispy! It’s so good, and actually really easy to make! With how fast you’ll get this delicious dish plated, you’ll definitely want to keep it in your dinner rotation.
Crispy chicken – The (not so) secret to making it super crispy is by using cornstarch in your chicken batter and double frying. That will give you that satisfying crunch when biting into the chicken. 😋
Looking for more Chicken recipes? Here you go:
- Cheesy Korean Fried Chicken
- Fried Turmeric Chicken (Ayam Goreng Kunyit)
- Malaysian Creamy Butter Chicken
- Easy 15-Minutes Chicken Teriyaki (No Mirin and Sake)
Chinese Crispy Lemon Chicken
- 2 lb boneless chicken thigh/breast see notes
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar/apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth/water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger finely minced/grated
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced/grated
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch
- lemon zest
- Diced up chicken and marinate with light soy sauce and vinegar. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Break two eggs into the same bowl and mix well. Add in the flour and corn starch. Mix until you reach a thick paste consistency and there are no lumps (see notes)
- Heat up neutral in a cooking pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, add the chicken and fry until golden brown (see notes)
- Fry in batches and drain on a paper towel.
- Mix all the sauce ingredient in a bowl except for the ginger, garlic and lemon zest.
- In a cooking pot, sauté ginger and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil until fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce and add lemon zest.
- Let the sauce continue cooking for at least 1-2 minutes or until the sauce turns glossy and thickens.
- Turn off heat and add the chicken. Coat each chicken with the sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and lemon slices. Enjoy!