When it comes to hearty comforting meals, there’s nothing that fits the bill more than a simple bowl of congee. It’s porridge made from rice that’s super popular in Asian cuisine, with a variation on how it’s prepared according to different cultures.
In Malay, we call it “bubur”. More often than not, whenever I was under the weather or felt like I couldn’t digest my food properly, this easy Mushroom Congee dish is one I fall back on time again. Also, with the chill that’s starting to set here in Chicago, it’s the perfect meal to warm me up any time.
These days I love to spice it up with chili oil fried eggs and fried garlic chips with a drizzle of garlic oil. It’s super delicious! Feel free to pair it up with whatever topping you’d like. The sky’s the limit!
Looking for more Rice recipes? I’ve got you:
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Chili Oil Spam Fried Rice (15 minutes)
- Tom Yum Fried Rice
- Sausage Cajun Fried Rice
Easy Mushroom Congee/Rice Porridge
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups water see notes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 thick slices ginger
- 6 tbsp fish sauce see notes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Slice the mushrooms, ginger and garlic and add to a pot.
- Rinse the uncooked rice and add to the pot and pour in the water.
- Over medium heat and with the lid on, bring the water to a boil and stir.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and let it continue cooking. Cook with the lid on for faster cooking. Stir occasionally to ensure the the rice doesn't stick to the bottom and clump.
- Once it's halfway cooked, add the fish sauce and pepper. Stir and let it continue cooking until it reaches congee/rice porridge consistency.
- Once it's cooked, serve in a bowl and add your desired toppings/eat with side dishes. Enjoy!