This Creamy Chili Oil Pasta is rich, flavorful, and very filling. A quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. Ready within 25 minutes!
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
If you’ve been following me for awhile, you’ll know how much I love my chili oil. It’s the best condiment in my eyes, and more often than not you’ll find me adding on a spoonful (or more!) to my plate. So after preparing a fresh batch of chili oil recently, I decided to experiment with making this creamy chili oil pasta. It’s a dish that’s inspired by Gigi Hadid’s viral Spicy Vodka Pasta, and the Italian Penne alla Vodka. Though in my version, it’s vodka free!
Spicy & Creamy Pasta
This spicy, creamy, tomato-based pasta is so rich and flavorful, it will quickly gain its rank as one of your favorite pasta dishes. It’s definitely becoming a frontrunner in our household for sure! There’s something about a spicy and creamy pasta combo that always works.
Traditionally, the type of pasta used is penne. But I love using rigatoni pasta as it holds more sauce once you’ve mixed it in. Another great alternative is shell pasta. Though honestly, you can use whatever pasta you’d like as the sauce works with all types.
Notes for Creamy Chili Oil Pasta
- Spice level – You can tailor the spice level of the dish by adjusting the amount of chili oil to your heat preference.
- Adjust salt accordingly – Adjust the amount of salt to your preference as some chili oil is saltier than others.
- Sauce consistency – If the sauce is too watery, let it cook for longer and if it’s too thick, add a bit more pasta water.
- Lactose free – For a lactose free version, skip the heavy whipping cream and parmesan. Make a simple cream sauce with 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour and gradually add 1 cup of plant based milk instead. My husband’s lactose intolerant and he loved this version.
Here are some other recipes with chili oil for you to try:
- Garlic Chili Oil Noodles (10 minutes)
- Chili Oil Dumplings
- Chili Oil Fried Eggs
- 15-minute Chili Oil Spam Fried Rice
- Chili Oil Beef Stir Fry (10 minutes)
Alternative spelling: creamy chilli oil pasta
Creamy Chili Oil Pasta
- 1/2 lb rigatoni pasta or penne
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 tbsp chili oil (just the sediments) see notes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1/2 tsp salt adjust accordingly – see notes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika optional
- 2 tsp dried/fresh basil optional
- Boil pasta in lightly salted water until cooked and reserve some pasta water.
- Sauté garlic cloves in 1 tbsp melted butter and oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and continue sautéing for another minute before adding chili oil.
- Stir well for another minute then pour in heavy whipping cream.
- Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes before adding the rest of the seasoning and basil.
- Let it continue cooking until it boils and stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup of pasta water, pasta and the remaining butter. Stir until every piece is well coated and turn off heat.
- Serve while hot with parmesan cheese and enjoy!