Once I love something, I’ll keep on trying it in different variations or flavors. And this extends to croquette as well! Recently I’ve shared the Japanese Potato Cheese Croquette (Korokke) recipe that always serves the perfect cheese pull, and now I come back with these Japanese Crunchy Creamy Crab Croquette. It has the same crispy exterior, but is packed with creamy filling that blends well with the crab. I used imitation crab meat because it’s easily available, but you can definitely use real crab meat as well.
These croquettes are downright a delicious snack. I always keep saying “this is my last piece”, but when it’s hot, I just can’t help reaching for more! The first time I made it, I had 3 by myself and left one for Mike. Haha. No regrets! Each bite gives you that crunchy, creamy, and savory combo. A 1, 2, 3 punch!
I hope you’ll give this a try. 🙂
Crunchy Creamy Crab Croquettes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 onions (minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1.5 cups cold milk
- 6 imitation crab meat (shredded)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayo (optional)
- 1 egg (for dredging)
- flour (for dredging)
- panko crumbs (for dredging)
- Shred imitation crab meat and mince onions.
- Sauté onions in melted butter until translucent over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add cold milk until you reach a thicker creamy consistency.
- Add shredded crab meat and season with salt, pepper and Japanese mayo. Mix well.
- Transfer to a container and set aside for at least an hour for it to set.
- Take one big scoop and shape it to how you want it.
- Prepare the egg wash, flour and panko crumbs in separate containers for dredging.
- Dredge in flour then egg wash and finally panko crumbs.
- Fry in a shallow pan until golden brown, flipping halfway and drain on paper towel. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply