Korokke are deep fried mashed potato and meat cakes and is a popular street food in Japan. There are plenty of variations on this dish, but this Japanese Potato Cheese Croquette is really simple and comes down to 3 ingredients: potato, sliced turkey breast, and mozzarella.
Once you bite into it, the crunch, the soft potato filling with bits of turkey, the cheese, it all goes perfectly together. (Not to mention the oh so satisfying cheese pull you’ll get too!) You just have to try it. So easy to make and perfect for snack time!
Cheesy Japanese Potato Croquettes
The perfect crunchy cheesy snack with soft potato filling!
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 6 slices turkey breast (diced)
- 1 green onion (diced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups mozzarella (shredded/cubed)
- 2 eggs (for dredging)
- flour (for dredging)
- panko crumbs (for dredging)
- Boil potatoes until tender and mash it to your preferred texture.
- Add turkey, green onions and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Take about 1-2 tbsp and roll into a ball. Flatten it and add shredded/small cubed mozzarella to the middle and cover it with the edges of the flattened potato. Next shape it to your desired shape.
- Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and beat it for the egg wash. Prepare flour and panko crumbs in two separate shallow containers.
- Dredge in flour, egg wash and panko crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown in batches, flipping it halfway.
- Drain on paper towel and enjoy!
*You can use any meat you want and add anything else to it. Common ingredients are onions, veggies and seafood. *Before you start frying, make sure the oil is not too hot otherwise you will burn your croquettes. Set the heat at medium or medium low, gradually letting it heat up the oil.
Did you try this recipe?I would love to know how it went! Please leave a rating, comment down below, or tag me on Instagram @FarahJEats.
Leave a Reply