Korokke are deep fried mashed potato and meat cakes and is a popular street food in Japan. There are plenty of variations on this dish, but this Japanese Potato Cheese Croquette is really simple and comes down to 3 ingredients: potato, sliced turkey breast, and mozzarella.
Once you bite into it, the crunch, the soft potato filling with bits of turkey, the cheese, it all goes perfectly together. (Not to mention the oh so satisfying cheese pull you’ll get too!) You just have to try it. So easy to make and perfect for snack time!
Cheesy Japanese Potato Croquettes
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 6 slices turkey breast (diced)
- 1 green onion (diced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups mozzarella (shredded/cubed)
- 2 eggs (for dredging)
- flour (for dredging)
- panko crumbs (for dredging)
- Boil potatoes until tender and mash it to your preferred texture.
- Add turkey, green onions and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Take about 1-2 tbsp and roll into a ball. Flatten it and add shredded/small cubed mozzarella to the middle and cover it with the edges of the flattened potato. Next shape it to your desired shape.
- Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and beat it for the egg wash. Prepare flour and panko crumbs in two separate shallow containers.
- Dredge in flour, egg wash and panko crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown in batches, flipping it halfway.
- Drain on paper towel and enjoy!