This Salmon Crab Stick Sushi Bake is a twist on the classic sushi, and is a fun dish to share with people!
I LOVE sushi. It’s a delicacy that my husband and I cannot resist. We would get sushi platters for takeout as a treat when we stay at home because we enjoy it so much. But once I learned about the new trend of making sushi bake, I became obsessed. It’s so good! This is definitely one of my favorite dishes to make with salmon. It’s also something different that you can bring to gatherings as a potluck dish.
QUICK AND EASY
This sushi bake recipe is a fun twist that is quick and easy to assemble. It is essentially a deconstructed sushi that is layered and baked in an oven-safe pan. There are a variety of options on how you can make your sushi bake. My take on this dish is to have salmon and crab sticks as the main ingredients. The spicy mayo sauce adds the perfect touch to make it creamy and savory.
Once baked, a serving option is to scoop some out of the pan and place it on top of roasted seaweed or nori sheets, making it like mini seaweed tacos. I highly recommend this because it is simply divine!
This sushi bake method is also beginner friendly as it’s a great alternative to the traditional sushi. It saves you time from having to roll them up individually using the sushi roller mat. Plus, mini seaweed tacos makes it kind of fun!
TIPS FOR SALMON CRAB STICK SUSHI BAKE
- It’s perfectly fine to use farm-raised salmon since it will be baked. So you don’t need to opt for the sashimi-grade ones (though you are more than welcome to!).
- I also recommend using sushi rice, but you can substitute it with normal rice such as Jasmine if needed.
Salmon Crab Stick Sushi Bake
- 1/2 lb salmon (diced)
- 4 crab sticks (shredded and minced)
- 4 tbsp mentaiko (optional)
Spicy Mayo Sauce
- 4 tbsp Japanese mayo
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp Sriracha/chili sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cups rice (hot)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-6 tbsp furikake
- 2 tbsp chili oil (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 400 F.
- Dice the salmon. Shred and mince the crab sticks.
- Combine the ingredients in the sauce in a bowl. Add the salmon and crab sticks. Mix well.
- In a bowl, season the rice with the vinegar, salt, furikake and chili oil. Coat evenly.
- In an oven safe dish, add a layer of rice and a layer of the salmon mixture on top of it.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Broil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with furikake. Best eaten with roasted seaweed. Enjoy!