Whenever you attend a Malay wedding in Malaysia, more often than not you will get to indulge in nasi minyak. It’s served either in buffet-style for weddings with free seating, or on a rotating serving tray for weddings with assigned seats. The traditional menu will consist of nasi minyak (scented rice), protein side dishes (like ayam masak merah, or chicken “cooked-red”), and acar timun nanas (pickled cucumber pineapple salad).
Acar timunnanas (pickled cucumber pineapple salad) mainly contains… you guessed it, cucumber and pineapple. The vinegar and sugar measurements might even make your eyes open wide. But trust me, it works. We also normally put a couple of sliced red chilis that gives it a bit of heat.
Not only is acar timun nanas a delicious crispy side dish that perfectly compliments the entire meal, it also acts as a palate cleanser! Some times when eating nasi minyak (or nasi tomato, which is what we eat acar timun nanas with as well), it can be a bit too oily. So this dish cuts through all that and gives a refreshing taste.
However, you can also make this for those times when you’re having fried rice or even chicken rice. It goes together remarkably well!
Some people prepare this dish with carrots, others with cabbage too. But I like keeping it simple with just cucumber and pineapple 😉
TIPS FOR ACAR TIMUN NANAS
- Making ahead and storage – It’s best served once you’ve let it chill for an hour in the fridge, though you can opt to serve immediately too. If you have any leftover, you can pack it into an airtight container and refrigerate it. It will hold for roughly 1-2 days.
- Pineapple – I used canned pineapple, but if you have access to fresh ones, that’s the best!
Want more Malaysian recipes? Look no further:
- Sambal Telur (Eggs with Sambal)
- Malaysian Stuffed Tofu (Tauhu Sumbat)
- Kailan (Chinese Broccoli) With Easy Sauce
- 15-Minutes Bok Choy Mushroom with Oyster Sauce
Acar Timun Nanas (Pickled Cucumber Pineapple Salad)
- 4 Persian cucumbers sliced
- 4 slices pineapple diced
- 1/4 small shallots sliced
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare all the veggies and add to a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Let it chill in the fridge for an hour before serving. Enjoy!