Give this vegan-friendly Savory Ramen Pancake (murtabak) a try by turning instant ramen/noodles into a deliciously crispy and flavorful meal.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
Fresh off our previous post on Murtabak Maggi — a savory ramen pancake that’s scrumptious and filling — here’s a vegan-friendly version that will knock your socks off. It’s equally delicious, except this recipe gives you a more crispy mouthful! Using ramen or instant noodles in your savory pancakes might seem a bit odd to some, but it really adds to that rich and flavorful taste.
For murtabak maggi, the binding agent that holds the ingredients together is the egg. In this recipe, however, I’m using flour and corn starch as the pancake batter that glues everything together.
Crispy Ramen Pancake
With that said, the corn starch is also used in order to help make the pancake crispy. Even so, there’s an extra secret ingredient that I incorporate for that light and crispy texture: cold seltzer water. I first came across this method while researching for the best crispy kimchi pancake recipe, but now it’s something I fall back on whenever I’m making a savory-style pancake.
You can also try it with cold water instead, but in my experience the pancake won’t turn as crispy compared to cold seltzer water.
Notes for Savory Ramen Pancake (Eggless & Vegan-Friendly)
- Ramen brand – For this recipe, I used the Samyang Spicy Chicken Flavor instant noodles. But you can definitely swap it out and tailor it to your flavor preferences.
- Use cold seltzer water – When you incorporate it, the batter becomes light which makes the murtabak/pancake super crispy when fried. You can try to substitute it with ice cold water, though it might not be as crispy.
- Add dried vegetables – If your instant noodle comes with dried vegetables, add it to the noodles while it’s cooking.
- Flipping the murtabak – For easy murtabak/pancake flipping, cover the pan with a plate and flip it over. Slide the pancake back in to finish cooking.
Here are some other vegan-friendly recipes for you to try:
- Spicy Crispy Mushroom Burger (Vegan-friendly)
- Fried King Oyster Mushroom Bites (Vegan)
- 20-Minutes Spicy Creamy Miso Ramen (Vegan)
- Cold Refreshing Summer Noodles (10 minutes)
Savory Ramen Pancake (Eggless Vegan-Friendly)
- 1 maggi/any instant noodle
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp cold seltzer/water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced/minced
- 1 green onion cut into thirds
- 1 chili pepper optional – sliced
- Japanese mayo optional
- Sriracha/chili sauce optional
- Boil the noodles until cooked and drain the water.
- Rinse the noodles under cold water and set aside. Optional step: Cut the noodles into smaller pieces with scissors.
- Break 2 eggs in a bowl and whisk.
- Add all the other ingredients including the instant noodle seasoning and noodles. Stir until well combined.
- Pour in enough oil to cover the surface of a medium sized frying pan and heat it up over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, pour in the whole mixture into the pan and spread out the mixture. Press down lightly with a spatula.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is cooked.
- Flip the murtabak/pancake and drizzle a little bit of oil along the sides and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is cooked.
- Optional: Squeeze some Japanese mayo and Sriracha/chili sauce all over the top. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!
Leave a Reply