This Chili Oil & Jam Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a twist on the classic snack that’s perfect for any meal! Utterly delicious and serving us with the 3S’ — sweet, salty, and spicy.
*This post may contain affiliate links which helps bring you delicious recipes for free.
You know that feeling when you come back from a bit of travelling and all you want to do is to lie in bed and recharge? Well, after Thanksgiving weekend, I felt absolutely drained and just wanted to be a potato. But even so, your girl’s still gotta eat. And one of the easiest things to put together is the classic grilled cheese sandwich.
This particular recipe though, comes with a twist. Ever heard of having jam and chili oil with your grilled sandwich?
Before you come for me, hear me out! I’ve seen people use jam for their grilled cheese sandwiches, which eventhough aren’t traditional, really makes for the perfect pairing! It gives that hint of sweetness that goes amazingly well with the saltiness of the cheese. And while making these I just thought, “hmm, chili oil kinda sounds good right now.” Presto change-o … I give you a masterpiece. Well, at least in my eyes. 😛
Sweet, Salty, Spicy Grilled Cheese
Essentially, between two pieces of bread, spread a layer of jam, then place on however much cheese you’d like, mixed together with some chili oil. Slather on some mayonnaise on the outsides of the bread, then pan fry it in butter.
I was honestly pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is with the chili oil pulling the sandwich together. And it tastes even better with tomato soup.
NOTES FOR CHILI OIL & JAM GRILLED CHEESE
- Cheese – I used smoked gouda and medium sharp cheddar.
- Jam – Feel free to use your choice of fruit jam. I used lingonberry but strawberry, raspberry or apricot works well too.
- Chili Oil – I used my homemade chili oil.
- Jam layer – Slather on a layer of jam on one side of the bread so that it doesn’t overpower the taste.
- Cover with lid when pan frying – Cover the grilled cheese sandwich with a lid so the cheese melts well into that oozing texture.
Looking for more sandwich options? Here you go:
- Japanese Egg Sandwich (Tamago Sando)
- Spicy Crispy Chicken Burger
- Hong Kong Style French Toast (Sai Do Si)
Chili Oil & Jam Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese/American cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda
- 4 tbsp chili oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- lingonberry jam or your favorite jam
- Add your shredded gouda to a bowl and mix with the chili oil. Set aside.
- Spread mayo to one side of every slice of bread. On the other side of only two slices of bread, spread the jam. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a frying pan over medium low heat and add one slice of the bread (mayo side down).
- Add 2 slices of cheddar/American cheese on top of the sliced bread and 1/2 of the smoked gouda chili oil mix. Cover with a lid and let that cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Add another slice of bread on top with the jam side down and press down the with a spatula for 10-20 seconds before flipping it over.
- Cover with a lid for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and press down the sandwich for 15 seconds or until it's golden brown. Remove from heat and serve.
- Repeat the steps for the 2nd sandwich and enjoy!
Leave a Reply